Monday, 18 May 2009
Paint your nails like a Pro!
I spoke to the experts at Qtica, the professional hand and nail treatment brand from the US, to get some great tips for hands and feet you’ll be proud to show off:
* Use a cotton pad soaked in a non-acetone remover to remove any traces of old nail polish.
* For a deep, anti-bacterial cleanse, soak feet in a bowl of warm water, adding a few drops of your favourite essential oil (peppermint is great for feet) or even add a handful of Epsom salts to the water. Make sure you soak your hands too to soften the cuticle if you are doing a manicure.
* Cut toe-nails using a nail clipper and cut STRAIGHT across only, then file in one direction across the top of the nail. For fingers file in one direction into the middle of the nail, creating the shape you deisre. Never use a ‘sawing’ motion as it causes nails to chip and peel.
* Apply a fortifying nail treatment product such as Qtica’s Natural Nail Growth Stimulator to strengthen the nail, encourage growth and leave nails with a healthy, glossy finish.
* For feet, always use a foot file to remove dead skin, concentrating on the heels.
* Great cuticles are essential as nails begin growing at the nail bed, so apply Qtica Solid Gold Cuticle Oil Gel. This 12 oil formula is anti-bacterial and anti-fungal and is designed to soothe and nourish. Once you’ve massaged in the oil, use an orange stick to gently push back cuticles.
* Follow the professionals and apply a base coat and top coat to really help lengthen the life of your polish.
* Applying polish is far easier than people think – paint a stripe in the middle, then one on the left, continuing to the right. Keep the coats very thin so you’ll have time to apply two coats and choose a high quality polish which contains a lot of pigment ensuring you won’t end up with a wishy washy colour.
* Finish off nails with a quick-drying sealant which should leave nails touch-dry within five minutes, but if you’re really desperate, turn the hairdryer onto the cool setting and give them a blast.
So here are a few of my manicure favourites:
Always use a non-acetone remover, honestly, you can really feel the difference! I love the Nails Inc one but can't seem to find it anywhere anymore!
I love my Tropical Shine Flash File, they come in a huge range of colours and work so well.
Again Nails Inc has a great cuticle remover - Striptease. Just leave on for 2 minutes and push the cuticles back with an orange stick.
An AMAZING base coat is Stickey by Creative Nail Design, it is exactly what it says - a sticky base coat to help anchor the colour to the nail to keep it on for longer.
Follow with a colour of your choice, the Top Coat from OPI and you're done - gorgeous glossy nails!